1) I believe that my apartment complex should install an electronic device at the pool/hot tub for residents to check in with a card to swipe and password.
2) Describe your belief. The unmet need is people living in Central Florida not being able to use the hot tub because it is too hot during the day and the complex started enforcing a strict rule of no one being in the pool/hot tub area past sunset. This is a need of the residents in this specific apartment complex. The strict enforcement has not always been in place. This is a recent thing that they are being strict about. People are not meeting this need because we are no longer allowed in the pool or hot tub after sunset and it is too hot during the day.
3) Identify the prototypical customer. The prototypical customer for this would be the residents within my apartment complex.
4)
Customer 1: The 29-year-old woman I interviewed says that she moved in recently so did not know about previous rules. She says that she was told to leave the hot tub one night because the sun was setting. She believes that there is an opportunity for a better way of monitoring who is at the pool and when but was not sure the electronic device would be the most efficient way.
Customer 2: The 68-year-old woman I interviewed was not interested in the idea of this device. She states that there is no reason for people to be in the pool or hot tub that late because it is a residence and residents near the pool would not enjoy hearing younger people at the pool outside their apartment. She displayed no interest in needing to access the pool or hot tub past sunset.
Customer 3. The third interview I conducted was with a couple that lives in the apartment complex. I am not sure of their age, but I would guess they are mid-30s. I received mixed feelings on the opportunity from the couple. The husband believes residents should be able to attend the pool as late as they want because they are paying a higher rent due to the pool and hot tub being available. The wife partially agreed with the opportunity but said there should be a cutoff time because there is no reason for residents to be at the pool all night into the early morning. Both the husband and wife displayed interest in accessing the pool or hot tub past sunset.
5) Reflect. After my interviews, I was surprised there was not more interest in the electronic device to log residents’ access to allow us in past sunset. Even the two customers I interviewed that seemed interested, they were not all-in on it. I believe there are maybe better ways of fixing this and I hope they find a way to allow people who are paying to live there to enjoy the pool and hot tub past sunset.
Summary:
How much of your original opportunity is still there?
I believe that the opportunity is still there. I think that it would assist in keeping the residents happy and it would keep younger children out past a certain time because they would not have the card and password.
Do you believe that your new opportunity is more accurate than when you started?
I do not think that my opportunity changed too much. I think I just found out that it may not be as good of an idea as I initially expected.
How much do you think entrepreneurs should 'adapt' their opportunities based on customer feedback?
I think that taking customer feedback is very important and there is a lot to learn from others. One should receive customer feedback from a large sample to get accurate information and accept constructive criticism to evolve the original idea into the best version possible. In some instances, there will be a need to take a leap and go against the majority. This is how entrepreneurs become successful.
Hi Timothy! I think your idea is definitely still present, however it may simply need some tweaking to become a better idea. Perhaps specifying your opportunity would make people more apt to support it. For example, proposing specific guidelines of what time the pool would close (say, midnight on weekdays and 1 AM on weekends). I think if you were to give people a specific way of solving the problem, people may be more likely to support your endeavor.
ReplyDelete