Skip to main content

My Entrepreneurship Story

What started as a a playful joke due to a breakup, turned into 400+ people getting together on Valentine's Day for a party. The girl I had been involved with for months and I ended things in January and I joked with a couple single friends that we should spend Valentine's Day together since we did not have significant others. When I realized that I have a lot of single friends, an idea blossomed. I was not sure it would turn into anything or if anyone would really be willing to spend their day at a bar. I spent a couple days brainstorming and came up with a theme and idea for this party. I then contacted a friend who is the owner of a bar in my hometown which is frequented by my friends to see if he was okay with me promoting a party at his establishment. Once he gave me the go-ahead, I started spreading the word and made a Facebook event for this date. It exploded. It started as five or six of my close friends getting together for some drinks and then, all of a sudden, we had 500+ people saying they would be there. We ended up selling shirts for the event and the turn out was 400+ in a small bar which does not get much business until mid-March when the weather warms up. Unfortunately, I did not benefit financially from this party that I created and promoted. This is something that


Honestly, I had not planned on taking ENT3003 on my way to my degree. While speaking to my advisor, she let me know that I would be able to take this class this summer to be used as an elective. I have always thought it would be amazing to start my own company but have never had that light bulb go off in my head with an idea for a successful business. But with the thought of how exciting it would be to own my own business, I got pretty excited about taking the class once my advisor mentioned it. It's my goal, in this class, to find out more about entrepreneurship and a little more insight on start-up businesses. Maybe one day the opportunity will present itself for me to start a business and I will be able to use the skills I learn in this class to further my success.

Comments

  1. I really liked your Valentine's Day Event idea. The idea of owning a business of your own is very exciting. I have always wanted to be my own boss and own something that I really cared about because it was an idea of my own. I think that is a great reason for joining this class and I hope one day you own your own business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Timothy, I think that your Valentine’s idea was really cool. I bet I would have attended if I saw the Facebook event too. That is a nice touch of entrepreneurship since you sold shirts and stuff! It is awesome how you did not expect this to blow up into such a big party and it did. I personally felt the same about taking ENT3003, in the light that I did not expect to but I am also excited to learn more about entrepreneurship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Timothy!
    I would have loved to go that event, it sounds like it was a great experience for everyone. I have family that run events, and to hear that you were able to run a 400+ person event shows that you have all the skills, and more, to succeed as an entrepreneur! Now all you need to do is profit off your ideas and you're set to be a fantastic entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timothy,
    I love your idea of the Valentine's Day event! It also sounds like it was a great experience for you leadership-wise and for everyone all around. Even though you didn't financially benefit from this, I feel as if the whole process of advertising with Facebook and t-shirts for example will be great practice if you ever decide to do more business endeavors in the future. I really enjoy the way you write on your blog and I'll be looking forward to hearing many other interesting stories from you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment