Skip to main content

12 - Figuring Out Buyer Behavior


This week I interviewed three individuals. I interviewed a thirty-two-year-old stay-at-home mother, a twenty-four-year-old salesman, and a forty-four-year-old government contractor. All three individuals have driver licenses and drive almost every day and have expressed anger and impatience when discussing the driving abilities of those around them.

In the interviews, I found that the individuals were very interested in the idea of having a system in place which alerts drivers when the traffic lights will be changing as well as when they change. All three individuals made points of the idea assisting in their daily commutes. The stay-at-home mother spoke on how it is already stressful taking multiple children somewhere without extra anxiety on the roads but being behind someone who is stuck looking at their phone at a red light makes it even worst. The other two gentlemen also touched on this and the salesman went into deep detail about how losing a few minutes during a drive due to other drivers not paying attention can mean that he loses money. His job requires him to meet timelines within the sales and he has missed out on possible customers due to other drivers on the road. When discussing the possibility of having a Bluetooth-like system between the vehicles and traffic signals, they all said they would be interested in it if it wasn’t something that they had to go and purchase. They mentioned how they believe it would be something that the city would have to invest in to make it happen.

I believe there are many drivers out there who are interested in the idea. The logistics of making it all work is something that would have to be figured out. The three individuals I interviewed and I agreed that the cities would have to be interested in installing such a thing. But I believe that it would also be up to car manufacturers or law makers to enforce it on the individuals instead of it being optional. Otherwise, the system is ineffective.

Comments

  1. Timothy, it seems like you got a lot of useful information out of your interviews. It is good to know that people would want a device like that but not really want to pay for it. It is really a great idea for someone like the mother who wants to drive the kids around safely. If the city was willing to, I say go for it because I know so many people who would love this innovation. Knowing when the lights would change could make traveling so much more efficient and you can know exactly what time you arrive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment